Hook up amp in house

Added: Herschell Dempsey - Date: 30.11.2021 10:27 - Views: 14700 - Clicks: 8002

Hello everybody, recently i bought car amplifier for repair and decided that im gonna replace my Sony XM that i have been running as my subwoofer amplifier for a year now. I took this opportunity to write instructable on how to properly hook car amplifier for use inside of your house connected to mains voltage and what you should be careful about. There are many reasons why you would want to use car amplifier, but if you can choose between proper vv amplifier and car amplifier i would suggest you to pick house amp, its power supply is well deed and you will get proper power output out of it.

Car amplifiers are mostly rated at 14,4V and lower impedances 1 or 2 ohm for example while some home amplifiers can only go as low as 4 ohms. Since you will be running it off 12V power supply more about that in further steps you might not get as stable power as you would in your car. If you however still choose car amplifier then continue reading as i will try to provide as many information about it as i can. I've been running car amplifiers in my room for 6 years or so, it used to be hard to get proper amplifier and if u were like me you probably had spare ATX power suplies so you could save a few bucks on that.

These days it's much cheaper and easier to just get 24V chip amp from ebay and have decent setup. Even deing and building your own, internet is full of schematics that are just waiting to be built. If you already have amplifier you can just skip this step. If you still haven't got one and you are thinking about buying it there are few things to consider. Most people are using class AB on mids and highs midrange speakers and tweeters while going for class D on subwoofers. Reasons for this are that class AB has better sound characteristics.

There is a lot of discussion about this so i'm not gonna go there, but main difference between them is power consumption. This is thing to consider when choosing PSU and desired output power. On last 2 pictures you can see Hook up amp in house between GZTA 4.

Both amps were set to 20V output about W to 4ohm dummy loadclass AB is drawing This means that by using same power supply next step you can get more power with class D amp. Since you have your amplifier, you need 12V power supply to power it up. Only downside is they provide only 12V and not 14,4V. This means you are gonna get a bit less power than your amplifier is rated at some are rated at 12V and at 14,4V, some only at Other alternative is to Hook up amp in house 12V power supply for LEDs or other things. These have small potentiometer so you can adjust voltage a bit higher, usually from V.

PC ATX usually requires green wire to be connected to negative terminal to power on. You can use simple switch to short them together. You will also need to cut off connectors and bundle together all 12V wires and Ground. Modifying ATX power supply for 14V output can be done if you have some electronic knowledge, but if you dont then you shouldn't be opening one. They contain capacitors that are charged up to mains voltage and can be deadly. For this reason i'm not gonna go further, if you are good with it you wont have any problems with it since its as easy as changing few resistors.

Add together power of all channels, for example if your amplifier is 2xW you get W, if you have monoblock 1xW or just bridge 2 channels use power that its rated at. Good rule of thumb is to multiply that by 1.

Hook up amp in house

Add about 50W of headroom to that. Check if your rating is a bit higher than your fuses on your amplifier. If you go under it, it may not be enough to blow fuses which could lead to damage of your wires, power supply or even burn them down. Now you see why its better to get class D for higher amounts of power, that's W difference for W amplifier. Use max current rating of your power supply to choose your wire gauge. Its always better to get as big wire as you can connect to your power input that is as short as possible and then use longer wires to your speaker.

With higher power amplifiers its good to also include fuse that is recommended with your power wire. Use online charts to roughly calculate your wire gauge, but its always better to get bigger gauge as they will have less drop in voltage with higher current draws. I included diagrams for connecting psu to amplifier but if you have any questions just ask me in comments since your setup might be a bit different.

This way your PSU would turn on at the same time as your amplifier. For audio input you need RCAs. Simple 3. You can get them in any bigger shop or even online. If you have high power amplifier and simple PSU wont get you enough power you could consider getting 12V batteries.

Don't get open types since they can produce a lot of hydrogen while charging which is not good considering you are going to have them in your room. SLA or Gel types are good for this since they are mostly closed and have better discharge capabilities deep discharge. This would require a bit different approach since you will Hook up amp in house to get 14VV 0.

Diode should be high power, rated at least few amps more than your max charge current, high power bridge rectifier could also work since higher current ones can be screwed to heatsink. You will need to put switch on mains input of your PSU if it doesn't have one since overcharging lead acid batteries is never a good idea.

As safety precaution you will need to add fuses since they can provide much higher currents up to A for single 10Ah battery! Unless you are doing something crazy just skip this step, in my opinion it isn't worth it for daily listening at normal levels. If you wired everything correctly, you can turn on your amplifier now. See, that was easy. Now comes the tricky part, since all setups are not equal, you might get less or more power than advertised.

Get 40Hz test tone for subwoofer amplifier, or 1kHz for full-range amplifier. Its safest to tune it at 0dB since that way you can't clip output al even if you listen to rebassed or bass boosted music. If you dont listen to those types you can get -3dB or -6dB but you might clip it with some music.

Hook your audio source to amplifier, play test tone and turn the volume up. Your audio source might clip so firstly checking outputs with DD-1 or oscilloscope should reveal any distortion or clipping, if everything is ok you can raise your gain until waveform starts looking distorted as on pic 2 or clipping LED lights up on DD This should be done while your speakers are hooked up and using few test tones.

Since your speaker has impedance which varies by frequency you are playing it at, its always best to play different tones to see if amplifier distorts. Well you can do this by ear but it wont be as accurate. Simply do everything as described before, but when you raise volume up listen to change in sound. It's hard to describe it but you will notice that your speaker will change sound when it starts to distort. Again make sure you do this at multiple frequencies to ensure output is completely clean.

EXO made a good tutorial about that, so if Hook up amp in house not clear enough watch this video or ask me in comments. Some speakers can handle more power than rated without getting damaged, some may not.

To ensure you are not getting more power to them, use nominal impedance rating and ohms law to determine how high should voltage on output be. For example if you have 4 ohm speaker that can handle only W, play test tone and raise gain until you get 20V on outputs and make sure waveform isn't distorted since clipping hurts speakers more than getting too much power to them.

Getting power supply from china or suspicious sellers might not mean you will get exactly what you wanted, your power supply might not output as much current as it states on it. Try measuring voltage on outputs of your PSU, if it drops too much it may trigger undervoltage protection to prevent any damage.

First make sure your amplifier is stable at impedance of your speakers. Dont run 1 or 2 ohm speakers on amplifier that doesn't say its stable at those impedances. Check voltage Hook up amp in house power inputs of your amplifier, if it drops under V it may trigger undervoltage protection on your amplifier. Some amplifiers have multiple colors of LEDs to indicate so check your manual.

Has anyone got an idea how to put this 5A Ac v amplifier with two watt technic speakers inthe boot of my car. Reply 2 months ago. There are two options: a Use inverter that can supply at least VA and hook it up as you would normally inside of a house b Get car amplifier and wire your speaker to that. Either way, you are gonna need to get power from your battery in the front to the boot and RCAs from your headunit.

There is a third option but i wouldn't really recommend it, if you have rear speaker outputs in your trunk you could hook them up to that, but don't expect more than W because most headunits won't do more than that. Question 8 months ago on Step 6. Answer 8 months ago. And how many watts I need? Thank you.

Reply 10 months ago.

Hook up amp in house

If I'm not mistaken, that amplifier has 40A fuse so you should get something that can supply more than that. In case of Xbox one you should turn down gain since you were probably clipping the al which probably made amplifier draw a lot more current than psu can supply and it resulted in psu protection circuit tripping.

Question 1 year ago. Answer 1 year ago. You need RMS power, i can find 2 amplifiers 4ch and monoblockif it's 4ch then you could get much less since it uses 3x35A fuses it shouldn't draw much higher than A. You could get something like SPS Most solutions you find will probably cost more than proper house amplifier so keep that in mind. Reply 1 year ago. Transformers aren't really good since they would require some sort of voltage stabilization since unloaded rectified voltage can jump over 16V which is max for most amps. Question 1 year ago on Step 5. A very noticeable hum that increases with volume.

I bought a ground loop isolator for my RCA connections and it helped some, but I still get a loud 40hz range hum that'll shake my room when I go 3db above reference level. My entire purpose to the big power is to get as far above reference level as I can with clear sound. Should I try wiring my power supply through a deep cycle RV battery I have kicking around? Any advice would be much appreciated. Are you sure it's square wave?

It sounds like it could be ground loop issue. Hook up amp in house tried many things to do but with some amps it's just really hard to get rid of it. One thing that helped me the most was isolating ground earth connection on psu. You could try different psu or battery in this case to see if that removes the hum, but make sure that your battery can output enough current.

It could be your PSU that is causing interference and this you will know with this test.

Hook up amp in house

Can you hear hum without anything connected to the audio inputs? Does your receiver output clean audio al? I do appreciate the reply! I've isolated the problem. I wired everything through my deep cycle battery, but only ended up using that as a ground. I'm both impressed and disappointed with the setup. It gets super loud but cloudy, that's just the THD sadly. I left you a link of my frankenstereo btw. If you want to make a true well made power source for testing car audio amps and preamps at home.

Or for using car audio in your home, then I would suggest using a watt solar panel mounted on your roof or outside a window in the sun close by where you will be listening. And a solar battery charge controller hooked up to a amp hour deep cycle battery.

Hook up amp in house

email: [email protected] - phone:(765) 698-4468 x 4884

How to Properly Hook Up a Car Amplifier Inside the House